This edition of the Pinoy Parenting Blog Carnival posts the following questions:
1. What are the things your parents did that you would definitely still follow?
2. What are the things your parents did that you would do differently?
This is this month's topic. if you want to join or view other entries by parents such as myself, visit Doc Joey's blog HERE
i grew up under a disciplinarian and strict family. certain rules have to be followed or else:
1. when you happen to do something bad or gets the disapproval of my parents, it entitles you to a good spanking - either by hand, by belt or hanger. depends on the gravity of the misdeed.
2. prayers are strictly enforced. 12noon angelus, 3pm prayer, and 6pm angelus. and of course, night time prayers.
of course, there are upsides in my family:
1. gatherings are sacred. birthdays, weddings, christmas, new year any special holidays deserve a good celebration with the whole clan.
2. kids are given free rein on what they can do during their playtime as long as they are within the vicinity of the compound and within sight of the adults.
3. books are highly encouraged. they even shove books for you to read.
4. there is always food. as long as you finish what you get.
5. respect for elders, they don't require you utter po and opo after every sentence but the tone of voice when conversing is sometimes enough for them as a sign of respect.
so far these are the things that have been etched in my mind while growing up. i'd certainly enforce these to my kids except the first part. as much as possible i avoid spanking them. the only time that i spank them if they have been given 3 warnings about their bad behavior. and after an explanation why such behavior deserved the spanking. other than that, all these have been great influences on my upbringing.
i've been blessed with a family that believes that families should stick together no matter what and we're the first and last people we run to when we get stuck in a rut. and there's always unconditional love to go around, anytime. and free hugs too!